Skip to main content

tv   Hardball With Chris Matthews  MSNBC  December 27, 2010 5:00pm-6:00pm EST

5:00 pm
"hardball" is up next. born in the u.s.a. let's play "hardball." birthright. the birther movement. it's a phony continue ver designed by people who want to delegitimize president obama's
5:01 pm
presidency. the new governor of hawaii wants to make it possible to release more evidence to put this to rest. it won't matter to some of course. as someone once said, don't waste your time arguing with someone who's job is not being convinced. plus, remember this moment from the 2010 election year? >> my name is bill davidson and i am seeking our party's nomination for the position of treasurer. >> that was just one of many campaign moments that went viral this year. we'll count them down. also, the mere threat of a filibuster has made it possible to get anything done in the senate without 60 votes. and talk about the bill they're opposing like jimmy stewart did in the movie. that's what some democrats want done next year and i think it's
5:02 pm
a great idea, so expect resistan resistance. and we'll look back at my favorite movies this year. you're going to like this one. finally, what was it that made ed rendell so angry yesterday? we start with the birther movement. the new governor of hawaii wants to put to rest the manufactured controversy, while allowing more information to be released from the records office in honolulho. david corn and clarence page, gentlemen, of course you are. a new poll out this year, a "new york times" poll that came out this past april asked do you think barack obama was born in the u.s. or in some other country? 58% say he was born in the u.s. just 58%. a majority, but less than three out of five are willing to say he was born here. 20% said he was born somewhere
5:03 pm
else and 23% said they don't know, which leaves the president in an odd position since he is in a job that requires him to be born in this country. again, only 58% agree he was born here. now, the governor who grew up and lived with obama's parents and knew him when he was a kid, believes it's time to end this nonsense. i am not a birther. i am an enemy of the birthers. this is an actual birth certificate in the state of hawaii. this on the other hand is what they release to the public, a thinner form. it's digital of course. doesn't have signatures on it. and to the birthers is evidence he really ain't one of us. clarence, is this going to help if we get more documentation and second question, why has the president himself not demanded
5:04 pm
they put out the initial documents? >> president's got more important things to do, thank goodness. governor aber com bee says that because he was a classmate of obama's parents. he is tired of people accusing his parents. he wants to try to put this to rest. of course, it won't work because the birthers aren't interested in evidence that obama was born a u.s. citizen. they only want to hear evidence that he was not. that's not going to happen. >> what about going to that 20% or 23% we showed "the new york times" poll that doesn't know. they just want evidence. is that a group that has a right to get more documentation? list. >> there's enough evidence out there already. more importantly, there are two
5:05 pm
birth announcements in honolulu newspapers. imagine the mind that would have to at the time of his birth in 1961, plant those things so that one day he could become president of the united states. there's already plenty of information out there that 20% who don't know are willfully ignorant and for the 23%, i think of that great movie line, you can't handle the truth. i think neil abercrombie is in a mug's game. there's nothing he's going to do to change any mind. >> are you saying that 43% of the country is stupid or resistant to truth? because we've got the poll that shows only 58% are confidence of his birth. what do you do about the other
5:06 pm
43%? at least go to the 20 or 30%. obviously, the nut cases on the far right who hate this guy aren't going to admit you're right, but why not get to the people who are confused? >> you've lost the 23% already. i would just write them off. >> what do you mean? 43% of the country is off? >> the 43% who know. >> it's 20, actually. what about 23? >> i think the 20% just don't know because they haven't paid enough attention. the facts you're holding in your hand would be enough to convince them. maybe they don't care enough to know or think this is where the right wing does a good job. they've created enough of a controversy, even a fake controversy, that people listening with maybe half an ear, so i don't really know because i understand there's some controversy going on here. >> there's also another answer which the questionnaire did not
5:07 pm
include. that's the don't care crowd. a lot who don't know don't care enough to look deeper into it because it's just not relevant to their lives compared to other things they want from the president like helping turn the economy around. >> i think the mere fact that a newly governor from hawaii, his home state and it is his home state, i agree, has started this effort. everybody on the right knows it, so we're going to be paying out of the corner of our eye. how's he doing to find the original document like our birth certificates, has all kinds of signatures on it. don't we want to know if he can find it? i don't understand why the governor doesn't say, snap it up, send me a copy and why
5:08 pm
didn't the president just say, send me a copy. why doesn't gibbs and axelrod. why not do it? >> the president doesn't care. >> doesn't care that 43% of the country isn't sure he's an american. >> that copy you've got, the copy that the president has provided on the web is all you need if you're a hawaiian to get a passport. everybody accepts that birth certificate as proof of his citizenship except for the birthers. >> so, this is the same document that would be adequate if you wanted to join the cia. >> absolutely. >> and one question here is that the governor has asked for more information. he hasn't said it has to be the long form that you're holding for somebody else. if he comes up with other information that is not exactly a long form, will that satisfy anybody's view? >> but the department just said
5:09 pm
the other day that there is such a thing. it exists. the document is available in storage. they have it in storage, they say. if it exists, why not put it out. just asking the obvious question. will there be any harm done by releasing the original document? >> i will take the brave position of saying that if they can find it, they could put it out there and we can make even more fun of the birthers. >> i'll take the praif position of put it out there and then the birthers aren't going to believe it. he's part of that conspiracy, too. he's a democrat. >> you're all dead right. let's agree, why don't we say three cheers for neil abercrombie knowing the next poll will show 20% believe everything's bogus. gentlemen, thank you for joining us. great to have you on. i'm sure we've gotten to the
5:10 pm
bottom of this as much as mortal men can. coming up, it didn't get her elected in california, but her demon sheep ad was one of the most bizarre ever. you're watching "hardball" only on msnbc. also want to try lifting one of these. also want a unique sea salt added to over 40 campbell's condensed soups. helps us reduce sodium, but not flavor. so do a few lifts. campbell's.® it's amazing what soup can do.™
5:11 pm
now that rahm emanuel has his residency question all cleared up, he's ready to bring in the campaigner in chief. not barack obama, it's bill clinton. a spokesman said he will campaign in january for emanuel. chicago's mayoral primary is coming up quick. your core competency... is competency. and you rent from national. because only national lets you choose any car in the aisle.
5:12 pm
and go. you can even take a full-size or above. and still pay the mid-size price. i'm getting an upgrade. [ male announcer ] indeed, business pro. indeed. go national. go like a pro.
5:13 pm
welcome back. our friends at politico have
5:14 pm
rounded out the top political highlights and low lights. here, a preview from politico, ken vogel and alex wagner. start with ken buck who took heat from his opponent's ad that he might not be man enough. here he is answering the question. here he is answering a question at a campaign event. >> yes. >> why should we vote for you? >> because i do not wear high heels. questioned my manhood, i think it's fair to respond. i have cowboy boots. they have real [ bleep ]. >> alex, did that work with the peeps? >> i think it was definite controversial when said, but ken buck ended up winning because he put it in the context of man
5:15 pm
baiting. and this was part of a larger onslaugt for femme niz m. you had sharron angle questioning harry reid's manhood. as such, managed to escape the potential death nail. >> that tactic has been reviewed in a book by chris matthews years ago. it's called attacking in a defensive position. just a thought. the book still available. just kidding. let's go to ken. this is an ad by carly fiorina. against her opponent, tom campbell, but this i guess levelled him. let's watch. >> tom campbell. is he what he tells us or what he's become over the years? a fcino?
5:16 pm
fiscal conservative in name only. a wolf in cheap's clothing. a man who literally helped to put the state of california on the path to bankruptcy and higher taxes. >> ken? >> good ad, effective ad. she won, so you can't overlook that. an ad by fred davis, known for make quirking, out of the box ads on the republican side. he made that in 2008 comparing obama to britney spears. james inhoff's nephew. a little trivia there. a guy who knows how to make a real ad as opposed to straight to the web ad. we see a lot of committees trying put out these ads without paying to air them. here's a guy who does the opposite. he puts them up on tv and they have such a sort of interesting take that we're compelled little
5:17 pm
bit to cover these things. >> alex, i want you to look at the next one. here counting down number three. dale peterson who was vying to be alabama's agriculture commissioner. >> so listen up, alabama commissioner is one of the most powerful positions in alabama. responsible for $5 billion. thugs and criminals, if they can keep you in the dark, they can do whatever they want with that money and they don't give a rip about alabama. >> what happened to him? >> he turned into j.r. ewing. he also mentioned he'd been a cop, a farmer, a marine. i think what he is trying to do is tap into the sort of populous
5:18 pm
anger and say, dog gone it, i've had enough. he sharpened his spurs. not sure that was the most effective, but was representative of a feeling inside the united states throughout the year. >> what version of english is this? i don't give a rip. is this i don't give a damn cleaned up for television? it's not our lingo. >> don't give a rip is really local? >> exactly. >> i love the analogy to dallas. like dallas meets tom tancredo. >> two, phil davison. >> my name is phil davison! and i'm seeking our party's
5:19 pm
nomination for the position of county treasurer! i've been a republican -- and i have been a republican in times bad! this is the opportunity we've been waiting for! if nominated tonight, i will win this election and i'm going to say there's no miscommunication tonight -- tell your friends, your neighbors, tell randy gonzalez -- i'm coming. >> i don't know what to say. ken, this man doesn't seem together. >> it may surprise your viewers to learn this, but he did not win, unfortunately. i'm it was a very competitive race. kind of strikes me as an unhinged gym teacher. doesn't seem ready for prime time. >> did you notice that he seems unhinged, as you put it, then
5:20 pm
goes back and checks his unhinged notes again. looks down then goes back to angry again. >> he had a quote from albert einstein. he misquoted it, went back and requoted. >> here's one we all remember. here's the number five. number one on our list, the best of them all. carl paladino, he won the nomination for governor against andrew cuomo. he had an exchange with fred vicker. >> i'll take you out, buddy. >> you going to take me out? >> yeah. >> how going to do that? >> watch. >> i'm told by the way by the friend of his and mine that he's not that bad a guy, but boy, what a picture he gave us.
5:21 pm
>> that was kind it haof the ha trick for carl paladino. it began with the racially dem grating e-mails he was sending around featuring the president and first lady, then his remarks about gay americans, which many considered were antigay remarks, then this. i think there's a reason he's not the governor of new york. >> what is is it this year, guys? about this particular or 2010, a tea party year, fair enough, but seemed to have brought out a rawness in the lingo. put on your man pants. also, the level seems to have dropped dramatically, ken. >> you know, i agree with you 100% on all those points. we also see this strategy of n confrontation documented by video. carl paladino has to know there
5:22 pm
are going to be situations where he's going to have a camera in his face and be faced in an uncomfortable situation. got to deal better with it because if not, this footage is going to wind up in your opponent's ads. >> alex, it seems to me journalists will be seeking to taunt these people into the action. if they're not ready to go, i remember my wonderful experience with zell miller years ago. he went kind of haywire on me in new york. he wanted to challenge me to a dual. that was a magic moment. do these guys prepare for this? >> between sharron angle returning away from the cameras, joe miller strong arming reporters, journalists covering the 2012 race may want to bring bulletproof vests or straight jackets if they want the
5:23 pm
interview. >> i'm thinking of professionals like bill clinton, hillary clinton, r barack obama, they have that tendency to sort of pause. they look at you when you ask them a provocative question and give you that look, like, let me register what you're up to. almost like the old jefferson thing. when you're mad, count to ten, when you're really mad, count to 100. >> i think they're trying to tap into this anger and fur fur yor of the economy. the your point, chris, i think that's a reason why most of these people didn't win. until we get candidates that are thoughtful about this stuff, this kind of advertising and messaging isn't going to work. >> to be fair, bill clinton didn't have that video camera in his face all the time. we saw during the 2008 presidential campaign when he was a surrogate for his wife,
5:24 pm
this he didn't always deal with it well. i think it's a combination of the discourse as well as increase in this type of journalism and using video to make people look bad. >> defiit's going to be worse t year. thank you for joining us. up next, by friend eddie rendell is upset with the snowstorm. it's delaying an nfl game. that never happens. remember the ice bowl? lombardy? they're supposed to be in bad weather. ♪ [ female announcer ] great wine, great price. yellow tail. let it flow, let it flow, let it flow.
5:25 pm
both cost the same, but only the pringles superstack can makes everything pop! ♪ hey [ male announcer ] same cost but a lot more fun. everything pops with the pringles superstack can!
5:26 pm
5:27 pm
time for the "sideshow." the northeast blizzard made the
5:28 pm
nfl postpone the eagles game against the vikings until tuesday, tomorrow. ed rendell's a big eagle ls fan and here's his reaction to the decision last night with the local fox station. >> i mean, we canceled a game, less than three inches of snow in montgomery county. there's less than two inches in wilmington. in philadelphia, we have got a great subway system. broad street is fine. the parkway is fine. 95 and the express way our clear. i think the fans can make their own judgments about their own safety. this is football. good lord. vince lombardi would be spinning in his grave. looks like it's over in alaska, or is it? joe miller announced today that he won't oppose the state certification of the vote where he lost to lisa murkowski, but still wants to move forward with
5:29 pm
his federal lawsuit looking into a law violation in irregularity possib possible what does it take for a guy who can't stand the federal government to dabble in state affairs and get the federal government to intervene in a state-run election. and now, as rahm emanuel campaigns furiously to be chica chicago's next mayor, the man he is to replace marked a significant milestone. just yesterday, he passed his father in the number of days he served as mayor. sunday marked the 9,000 -- i'm sorry. 7,917 day in office. and that's tonight "hardball" big number. between them, they ran chicago for 42 of the last 55 years. up next, if someone wants to filibuster a bill, shouldn't they be made to stand and talk
5:30 pm
and do it? are they going to go away or come back with one guy or woman standing up alone, take t on the country. you're watching "hardball," only on msnbc. >> ♪ >> ( party horn blowing ) >> ( speaking chinese ) >> ( speaking chinese ) >> ( laughing ) >> introducing cisco umi.
5:31 pm
be together in high def on your tv. exclusively at best buy's magnolia stores. cisco. [ bottle one ] oh, great. mr. clean magic eraser extra power. [ bottle two ] bro, will you relax? i'm pretty sure there's not much we can do about it. ugh. he's not even trying. he is actual magic. not impressed. [ gasps ] no! i didn't even know that could get dirty! can we even clean a leather shoe? what do you mean? what is a shooee? he's cleaning things that we don't even know what they are.
5:32 pm
gloves? brush? chime in any time here. [ male announcer ] effortlessly removes more grime per swipe. clean all around the house with the mr. clean magic eraser extra power.
5:33 pm
stocks ending the day sort of flat after a surprise rate hike from china over the weekend. the dow industrials, well they fell about 18.5 points, but the s&p 500 was up, nasdaq climbing a big 1.5. china stepping up its fight against inflation. analysts say this could cut into global demand. with no big economic news today, investors are wamping airline stocks. a bump in post holiday demand
5:34 pm
could fail to appear because of all the snow isn't the u.s. and europe. same deal for retailers. they ended mixed as investors wait to see what the impact of the snow in the east is going to have on post holiday sales. aig surging more than 9% after announcing it secured more than $3 billion in credit facilities. and charles swhab shares soared. that's it from cnbc, first in business worldwide. now back to "hardball." i'm not late. i'm going to stay right here and fight for this lost cause. even if this thing gets filled.
5:35 pm
and the tailors and all their armies come marching into this place. somebody will listen to me. >> still a great movie. welcome back to "hardball." this is a scene from "mr. smith goes to washington." that is the way to do a fill bust e, but a far cry from what happens today. now, senators don't even need to be on the floor. democrats would like to revise the rules. here's oregon senator jeff merkley. >> no more senators hiding in the shadows. senators who want to filibuster should stay on the floor and keep debating. >> joining me now is lynn sweet. i don't know why this guy can't win this ing tactic.
5:36 pm
>> they're doing that. the democrats are getting together and harry reid seems open to changing the rules, to mend it, and make the process faster. i think you will see some change in the world. >> what i'm hearing, michael, is that the proposal is going to get to the vote on the measure, so you could debate the bill. decide whether it's a good bill and somebody can keep talking if they want to. but you can't prevent consideration of a measure just because you want to. >> right. there may be time limits. one of the proposals by merkley is that you have to have a certain number of senators with each block of time that passes. you know, with each 24 hours, you have to have an additional ten senators. another proposal requires that you have actually 40 in support of a filibuster and a lot of this is going to come to a head in the first day of congress on january 5th. >> i don't think that's going to happen. i think what's going to happen
5:37 pm
is the possibility that you're going to have to filibuster. isn't it true that senators don't want to give up on their divine right. if he or she wants to, can filibuster. one senator, if they think it's the most important thing in the world to them, that they're willing to get out there, make a fool out of themselves if necessary, they should be able to do it? they aren't going to give that up, are they? >> they're not going to give that up. the threat of filibusters jumped in this last session of congress. the so-called reform proposal is not to end it, but to force people on the floor not just to phone it in like they do now to tell the clerk, start the clock, i'm going to file a full biser thre buster threat then waste 30 hours of debate over whether we should have this vote to break the filibustefilibuster. the democrats want to call the
5:38 pm
bluff. every senators going to have the right to do it, but it will make mr. smith goes to washington more possible than it is now. the senate says, okay, you threatened something, now we'll have the vote. that's why everything needs 60 votes to pass automatically because you've had so many of these threats jumped up in the last session. >> in 1957 when nixon was re-elected as vice president, back then, he tried to get the senate to agree on establishing new rules every two years and throwing away the old rules and the liberals joined the dixie crowd an defeated them. here's lamar alexander -- there's a guy cautioning against change. take an issue like health care, obamacare, it's called.
5:39 pm
it seems to me there are times so important that the person in the senate may want to stand up and say, you know, this is too important to rush through. i'm going to filibuster this on a couple of issues i think need to be understood, then i'll sit down. that seems to me the reason for a filibuster. let me accent and underline. may spend 20 hours up here if i can keep talking. at least at if end of it, the newspapers and tv stations will report, this is hot. we should have looked at it more. >> even without the filibuster bernie sanders got a lot of attention. but the other technique, the other quip a senator has is that any senator can put a hold on the bill. one of the other proposals is to not do it anonymously. i think it's way long overdue. if you're going stop a bill, be man or woman enough and come
5:40 pm
forward. right now, the senators sneak around and hide behind these secret homes. it speaks to your point, if something's important to you, yes, stop is senate, but put your name on it. >> sneaking suspicion that the senate doesn't want to change. that people behind the scenes, when they get in that club room, they say one is going to be out on one day, we're going to rotate in power for the rest of our careers. don't we want to protect the minority? that means the right to demand 60 votes. >> which was precisely chris dodd's warning in his farewell species. there is this building agory -- you don't even have to lose your voice as jimmy stewart did in that movie and get hoarse on the
5:41 pm
floor. i think why the 60-vote rule is going -- no one's going to tamper with that -- >> and chris, these rules can be changed again. this is not like the 11th commandment. >> if they're willing to do it. democrats were not a great party back then. >> i think they're going to try it. >> they won't do that anymore. but they used to protect the people who didn't like civil rights with that stuff. we know that history of the democrats. they defended the evils of jim crow and kept that filibuster for that region. thank you. up next, we love the movies. the five movies of 2010 i think tell us much about our politics and times right now. let's take a look at the political angle on the movies when we come back.
5:42 pm
to stay fit, you might also want to try lifting one of these. a unique sea salt added to over 40 campbell's condensed soups. helps us reduce sodium, but not flavor. so do a few lifts. campbell's.® it's amazing what soup can do.™
5:43 pm
gallup is out with the topmost admired men and women. president obama in front with 22%. bush at 5%. president clinton at 4%. the top three women, hillary clinton all the way. 17 points. sarah palin at 12, oprah winfrey at 11. the obama clinton coalition topping the charts. "hardball" will be right back. [ male announcer ] how can rice production in india affect wheat output in the u.s., the shipping industry in norway,
5:44 pm
and the rubber industry in south america? at t. rowe price, we understand the connections of a complex global economy. it's just one reason over 75% of our mutual funds beat their 10-year lipper average. t. rowe price. invest with confidence. request a prospectus or summary prospectus with investment objectives, risks, fees, expenses, and other information to read and consider carefully before investing.
5:45 pm
just wanted to tell you, face myself, management -- it's all good.
5:46 pm
right. >> what's your plan? >> i'm going to talk about that. >> what's your plan? >> i'm not here to talk about that. you watch the fight and you'll see the plan. >> we're back. we thought wed get a little head start on award seasons. the clip you saw was one of the great ones this year. "the fighter." that wasn't the only boston based movie this year. ben affleck directed another great movie, "the town." here's a scene between ben's character and that woman. she has no idea that he was one of the men who held up the bank and took her hostage and he attempts to prevent her from given info to the fbi. >> tell the fbi. if a guy's got a record, i'm
5:47 pm
sure he does. you'll have his tattoos on file. they'll ring him up the next day. rob him weapons, 30 years. of course, they're worried someone's going to come look for a witness. might put you somewhere like cleveland or arizona, you know, somewhere safe. or you could wait. >> wow. just remember how great that movie was. i'm joined by new york magazine film critic. you know, david, i met you before, but we are now going to have a culture clash because i'm a moviegoer. >> i like really good movies, too. >> why so much talk about boston these days? >> i went to school in the boston area? you went to wooser.
5:48 pm
i didn't bring it back the way they were hitting those rs so hard. >> it's boston and it's regular guys, you go to fenway, these are the kids there. the young people of all ages. poor white people in many cases, if you will. get in the subway in boston, they're like these guys. >> that's the beauty of these two movies. they didn't focus so much on these individuals so much as the ecosystem. >> it's a regular crowd of people who live and die for the sox. >> or live and die for their fighters. >> why are they so attracted to moviemakers? >> first of all, they're very mouthy. so the fighter could have been called the fighters because everybody in it is like fighting. you dirt bag, you skank. really, the least pugilistic person in the whole movie is mark wahlberg, who's the fighter. i think they love it because
5:49 pm
these people say what they think and they're very tribal. >> mystic river was like that, too. i grew up close enough and had roommates from that area. the part of cambridge that wasn't the ritzy part. tip used to cut the lawn at harvard. let me ask you about the class thing. seems to me these are rough times. 10% unemployment. these people, america, feels like they're not going catch up. that there is a big divide. >> right. and the great kind of sub text of "the fighter" even though it's set in the '90s, is this upcoming hbo special and how he is going to be portrayed. he thinks he is going to be portrayed as this blue collar guy making a comeback. it turns out it's as a crack head. this transforms the community.
5:50 pm
suddenly, the shame. >> so great. been identified with the black community. he here, you have the white community. working class people with dysfunctional mother and the sisters hanging around. here's a scene from the ghost rider. it's about prime minister tony blair is very interesting in this movie to say the least and "the ghost rider" ewen mcgregor. let's listen i love this movie. >> i want? >> you wrote the memoirs, didn't you? >> oh you read those. >> we stayed at his house in mystique last winter. that was beside the bet. >> i'm embarrassed. >> no, why? it was brilliant enough in a horrible social way how you turned his ramblings into something vaguely coherent. said to adam, here is the guy to write your book.
5:51 pm
>> the way she bites those words, david, she is sexy, she's dangerous, she's frightening, she's a conspirator. ah, and she's the wife of the prime minister. >> look what is great about in movie in its darkened and twisted and psychological way it's about taking control of the narrative of history, it's about a prime minister based on tony blair. >> sure. >> very thinly. who is trying to rewrite history to come off a little bit better in terms of the iraq war. >> yeah. >> and this poor sap, who is the ghost writer who has to make it all kind of plausible. >> pierce brosnan is spectacular in in movie. >> oh, absolutely. well, he's a man who's ashamed of himself, really, for what he did, and he's desperately -- i guess one could compare it to george w. bush in his current memoirs trying to take control of the narrative of history. >> how many movies are we going to see where they show tony blair being taken in by george w. bush? "love actually" it's all through that movie. something they know about, valerie plame's story.
5:52 pm
valerie wilson's story. let's take a look. in how they give away her identity. let's listen. >> you're welcome. >> hello. >> valerie, turn on msnbc. >> mom -- >> okay hold on one second. >> they've launched an investigation. ashcroft just announced it, they say he's going to be convicted in the grand jury. >> hold a second. >> the fbi is now conducting a criminal investigation into who leaked the name of the cia undercover -- >> they want me to comment on the investigation. >> joe, just hold on. >> we've got to fight this. >> i tell you, mark, penn, sean penn was spectacular. i know wilson, like him. naomi watts is wonderful in this movie. your thoughts. >> okay you were -- >> forget the politics now. >> you were right in the middle of this. >> yeah. >> so when you watch this doesn't it make you angry, doesn't it make you think, god why aren't more people in jail over it? i mean to mef me it was like this horrible flash back of the '90s. >> well they've got scooter, they got scoot or four counts.
5:53 pm
>> they did but i think that the movie sort of port rays him as a scape gop. to do two things, the agenda is two things. first to show that the -- the second thing is to show that they did endanger national security and a lot of individual's lives by exposing valerie plame. to me it's a very cool movie but i watched in a state of rage. >> i was gripped by it and i knew a lot of it and i think that they took some the license of the peripheral stuff but main stuff heart at tooth. >> let me ask you this, did wilson write that op-ed without consulting his wife. >> i don't know but i think that i know that more than you know. go to facebook mark zuckerberg. >> come on, tell me, tell me. >> in the social network. a movie by the other side of the individual divide. let's listen. >> you must really hate the winkle boss. >> i don't hate anybody.
5:54 pm
>> the winkle aren't suing me for intellectual property theft. they're sugme because in the first time of their lives things didn't work out the way that they're supposed to. >> you want to punch this guy in the mouth. he has no personality. he's a genius. he dumped on the one person in the whole movie naw like the woman who goes to b.u. and says why do you have to study you go to boston u, what's your problem. >> and yet, yet he's the youngest billionaire. >> yes that's one of the reasons. >> it doesn't matter if he's a jerk you want to be that guy. >> does aaron so,,en get you to be sympathetic to this guy? >> well, yeah, i mean it's very reductive in a way because he says this whole vast social network, this great -- >> sorry? >> great year at the movies. david, i'll have you back and great year in the movies. we'll have you back for the oscars. >> okay. >> the oscars. we'll be right back in a moment and you're watching "hardball" only on msnbc.
5:55 pm
5:56 pm
5:57 pm
5:58 pm
let me finish tonight with some good nights at the movies. i was surprised at how many good movies there were this year, i have a simple way of deciding, it comes down to whether i expect to want to see the movie again. figuring there was something there i want to relive, the struggle of some flawed hero i was rooting for, some place in the imagination of the moviemaker, i want to go back to. rick's cafe and wartime casablanca the arabian sea. third man after world war ii. yes, usually it's the place they yearn for like the british
5:59 pm
soldi soldier. in mandalay and this year i love the murky fog in northern europe described as martha's vineyard in "the ghost writer." this isn't about roman polanski, it's about his movies and this one like "the pianist" was a gripper. the king speech about george vi and finding the words to lead his country against hitler. fact, i go for anything that speaks of british eloquence, duty and wartime grit and although could have found a better guy to play. i love secretariat from the simple reason they rooted from the start for the diane lane character. and then again i'm one of those moviegoers who roots for diane lane and has been ever since i spotted her as a kit in "a little romance." finally, no surprise here i love "the fighter" i know a little bit about the background the work people from rus-belt towns like lower mass. i know a little bit about how people who feel who've been passed by economically, socially, humanly. and john ped ora's every review they love who put in "the weekly standard" if you

223 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on